Monday 4 April 2011

Is there steak in my crackers?

W1D1 has come to a close.
I survived without meat and without sugar.  Ok, added sugar.  I'm sure there was sugar in my granola bar but you can't judge me for it as I'm still learning.

Which brings me to my question of the day....how do I know what the hell is vegan or not?

Simple knowledge of vegetarianism tells me that I know there's no meat in my triscuit crackers...but what else is in there that may or may not make my crackers vegan?  Are vegans insanely smart with photographic memories?  Are they super machines that just know what's good and what's not?   I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking they can't ALL be geniuses.  Just like not all blondes are dumb....right?!

During my trek to the Superstore to find lunch (friggin soup accident!!) I thought I'd take some time and grab a few things that would benefit my challenge. I feel like I'm cheating the challenge if I count breakfast as my vegetarian meal. I also feel that regardless of this challenge I have plenty of vegetarian meals per week. I wanted to take it up a notch and try a few vegan meals/snacks this week.  Yeah right!  I looked like a fool (with my pants on the ground HA!)  standing in the aisles, lining up cracker boxes to see what the differences were. 

The stress is so bad I'm starting to crave steak now.  You have to read EVERYTHING, think about EVERYTHING. It's easy to remember eggs, milk, butter etc...but you grab a loaf of whole wheat bread and then go "Awww CRAP!" You can't make bread without at least one of those things.  Or correction...you can't just run up to the bread section and grab a loaf without looking first.

I shall continue on my journey to find "normal" foods that are considered vegan. 
I've double-checked that there's no steak in my triscuits...just wheat, soybean oil, and salt.  So checkmark for me....I found vegan crackers!!

Vegetarian: A person who eats only side dishes.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!! You, my dear, are friggin' FUNNY!!! Here's my 2 cent worth of advise. First, your already doing awesome! Second, dont try going to far off and overwhelmed yourself. Going vegan is one MAJOR undertaking and best achieve by slowly leaning into it. Dont think black/white, think grey. Remind me at the studio to talk to you guys about breakfast and my favorite isle at Superstore where there's a bunch of new/vegan/awesome items to try!! W1D2 is here!! WHOoooHOO! : )

    ReplyDelete