Sunday 29 May 2011

Party in Room 720!

Who knew being stuck in the hospital for 35 hrs could be so much fun!? Well, first of all I guess I should really clarify...it wasn't ME stuck in the hospital, it was LeighAnn and I guess if you asked her she might not have thought it was so much "fun".  But this isn't about her or her low lying placenta...

For starters,  I pulled up to the IWK and it was a like a circus exploded all over the place.  Kids with balloons, and train rides, a clown, toys, C100...it was crazy. All I wanted to do was park in parkade and now I'm dodging toddlers and trying not to drive over their parents.  I go to grab my parking stub and see "FREE PARKING"...SWEET!  Nothing at the IWK is 'free', lord knows I've been there enough with my kiddies and it always costs me a fortune. 

We hang out for a while in her room, waiting for news. It was like waiting for Christmas...and its only boxing day.  Tick...tock....tick...tock...finally Mrs. Cranky Nurse comes in to explain that she's at the bottom of the priority list (a good thing really!) so she's not getting looked at until Monday. So suck it up Buttercup, you're here to stay (for a while at least!).  For some reason the nurse decides that LeighAnn needs to know how a cervix grows, and I'm pretty sure that she was super pissed first-time-mom- LeighAnn couldn't 'properly' explain what type of pain she was feeling.  "Well is it a cramp or a contraction!?!"  I dunno lady...they DO have machines to monitor that...how about ya hook her up to it?!

We might as well get cozy...By this time it's like 8:30 or so, and it's decided that I'm sleeping over.  I'm not really sure if decided is the right word?! Maybe "I'm told" is more appropriate...either way, a night away from my children...I was all over it!! YEP, I'll stay!

So we settle in to magazines, and TV, and some good laughs.   We're banned from leaving the room. They wouldn't even let me take her down the halls with a wheelchair (isn't that the whole point of being in the hospital!?)  She can basically get up to pee, which she does alot of cause she's 35 weeks preggo and that's what we do when we're preggo....pee.  Pee and complain! 

Bedtime arrives and I make my cot in the corner.  There's a light on over the cot and I feel around to find the light switch.  I find the right one but it won't turn the light off, it only makes it brighter. Whatever...I give up and go to bed with my 'nightlight' on!    I have an ok enough sleep.  There's a few dreams of baby Owen making an early appearance, and I'm sweating my ass off because of the plastic mattress. But all is ok...no kids, no husband, no dog or cat...I won't complain!

I'm up pretty early, and I'm just chilling out while LeighAnn sleeps as the nurse comes in to check on her. She comments on the light and asks why I didn't shut it off. I said the switch was broken, but apparently I look like a lady that can't be trusted because she felt the need to fiddle with it for five mins before she finally gave up and told me it was broken...really?!  She goes over to put the medication on LeighAnn's tray, and in the process of that ends up scaring the shit out of LeighAnn so there goes any further sleep for either of us!! It was pretty funny though, so kinda worth it.

Breakfast...one word:  PATHETIC!  Remember that this is a hospital for women, mainly PREGNANT women....and here is her breakfast:

I'm not sure if she laughed or cried when she first saw this?!  That is a breakfast for an anorexic toddler....not an adult, and certainly not a pregnant one!  Seriously?!  Thank god our health care is free cause if she was paying for all this she'd be pissed! A quick trip to Tim's for a bagel and she was at least off to a better start.  Lunch and supper weren't really much better either...though WE did manage to make the best of it. We also had Subway, and cookies, and pizza too so overall neither one of us starved.

Nap time...LeighAnn is snoozing and I'm reading when all of a sudden it's like we're under attack. WTH is on the roof?!  I look out the window and see a helicopter. Not exactly a common occurrence, but then I look up, and see the helipad is right above her window!  Noisy! Holy crap...I don't know how she slept through it and I still think she thinks I made it up, but DUDE...there was a frickin helicopter above our heads.

You can't tell she's pregnant from behind, she has no stretch marks, and her boobs are still perky without a bra (for now!). Really, I should hate her, and for all the post-pregnancy women out there I feel like I should have smothered her with a pillow or at least punched her or something.
But she's one of the few skinny bitches that I don't hate so I spared her the agony...

Now, lets all send some good vibes to her so that baby Owen stays on the inside for a few more weeks!!

from one baby mama to another...XOXO



 

No comments:

Post a Comment