Thursday 2 February 2012

Girls with be Boys

Like my Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pigeon-Pose-Emotions/230206560392271

There once was a time that I bought cute, little, pink dresses for my daughter.  There once was a time where I brought home little baby dolls.  A few times I even got her cute little fancy shoes. 

Then I threw them all in the trash because she refused, with all her might, to wear them.

She was about 1 1/2 years old when I knew that she was never, EVER, going to be a little girl.  Trucks, dinosaurs, snakes, lizards....all made her day.  She loves her brother's hand-me-downs and from the time she started potty training she has worn boy undies.  She hates ponytails, rarely wears pink, and there's not a single dress/skirt/pantyhose in her entire wardrobe.

She is who she is, no doubt about it.  She's solid in her "self" and she hardly waivers from it.  Somedays...most days...it's like she wants to BE a boy.

Fine, tickety-boo, fan-diddly-dastic...that's what makes her "HER".  On the days she's not acting like a boy, she acts like a dog, or a cat, or a chicken.  Somedays it can be quite entertaining...she slept in her "nest" aka closet as a bird for about 6 months.

I'm all for being your true self...and if her true self is a dude well then I'm cool with that too.  Her family, friends, teachers, and even our neighbors know the deal.  She is who she is. She's all boy...well, except for the fact that she has a "husband" in PEI, and they've been "married" for four years.  Confusing...yep.

So what's the problem?  Well, little miss gets a little upset when lumped in with "the girls".  It's not that she doesn't like to play with girls, her very best friends are the girliest you could ever find.  It's a complete oxymoron. She only wants to play with girls when SHE wants to...not when forced.  Forget forcing it...that equals WW3.

It's a constant issue when there's a boys team and a girls team. Turns out her after-school program is doing a "Healthy Living" program once a week, and it's being split into two groups.  Yep...boys and girls.

KABOOM!

Alligator tears, pouty lips, hissy fit.  It's one thing to let her wear boy sneakers...but how does one explain that girls are girls, and boys are boys and never the two shall meet?  She just doesn't get why she can't go with the boys...and I suppose I don't really get it either.  It's not like it's a sex-ed class. I can understand that everyone is more comfortable in those situations if it's just boys/girls.

This is just healthy activities, and snacks.  No need to segregate! But rules are rules, and that's been a huge topic in our house lately so it's not even something I'm willing to entertain fighting for. 

Little does she know that in the next few years she'll likely explode into some fashion-crazy, boy-crazy, nail-painting teenager who will want to be with the boys...but for completely different reason....shoot me now.


No comments:

Post a Comment