Friday 6 April 2012

Wino

Check out my FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pigeon-Pose-Emotions/230206560392271

I am desperate to be a drinker.  I know that sounds weird, but all I want is to be one of those people that comes home from work and has a nice glass of wine after supper.

The problem...I hate the taste of wine.  Last summer I'm sure I spent well over $300.00 trying different types of wine. I'd buy a bottle, bring it home, pour a glass, hate the taste, add a few ice cubes to water it down, and then when that still didn't work, I'd add Sprite, drink about half of the glass, throw it out, and then empty the bottle. 

I don't even know why I'm so desperate to be a wine drinker?!  I guess I'd like to be a little more sophisticated, a little more mature maybe?  I'm ooze 'class' anyway, just want to top it up a notch. It just seems like that's what all the cool kids do, and well who doesn't want to be cool right?

The odd time I'll be out with friends, and actually enjoy a glass of wine, so I rush to the liquor store the next day to buy the same bottle and BLAH...disgusting.

I've tried local wine, French wine, Australian wine, Spanish, white, red, pink, and everything in  between.  Right now I'm drinking my wine (plus two ice cubes) that I bought in BC, and it's no better.  Guess the Okanagan Valley has shitty grapes too. 

Is it possible to make yourself like wine?  Should I cleanse my palate or something?  Gargle with salt water?  Light my tongue on fire? Get really drunk on Vodka first?

I even set the mood to make my wine drinking experience better. I dim the lights, put on some Cee-lo or Eagles, and remove distractions (kids). I've even tried to get in the bubble bath with my wine. Nothing works. 

I've been told to buy more expensive wine, that's the trick!  So off I go, and pick out a $30.00 bottle. Way higher than my $15.00 bottles....so this is obviously going to be better!! Nope.

I can't really figure out what exactly I don't like about the wine. First off, it makes my face instantly red and flush....which is why I stuck to vodka as a teenager or I would have been busted way more than I was.

I find it really tart.  Like sucking on a lemon.  Which is weird cause I don't buy lemon flavoured wines...gross, does that even exist?  I hope not. It's just not enjoyable, like say a White Russian, or Margarita.  But I feel that if I drank one of those every day after work I'd have a problem...you know, the 12 steps kind.  Somehow, a glass of wine a day seems more acceptable. 

I thought about switching to wine coolers, but I feel like I have to pull out the wife-beater tank tops, and that's not the vibe I'm trying to aim for.

I'm seriously about to give up.  Unless one of my peeps can find me a magical bottle that tastes like a large triple triple then it's over.

From now on, maybe I'll just pour my coffee into a wine glass? Then at least I'd get the effect I'm looking for...

2 comments:

  1. It took me a long time to be a big wine-o. Same with beer actually. I find it takes a really good wine to start the fire and then from there normally people can branch out and actually enjoy themselves. My favorite wine is riesling. Not sure if you've tried it. You can find it in the Germany section of the NSLC. My fav brands are Relax and Moselland Ars Vitis. Both in the $15 range. If you like those and want to try branching out then Pinot Grigio is the way to go. Hope you like them! Everyone I have got to try them have enjoyed them, even if they aren't a wine drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reisling is sweat, not my taste but good to start with. Then I agree Pinot Grigio's are light and crisp. Savagna Blanc's are dry. Hate Chardonney now even thougt that's what I started drinking...I'm a red wine drinker now, LOVE it! Total Wine-o. My favorite is MASI Valepachella, its Itallian. But lately I've been drinking a lot of French wine which I now love too, it seems lighter. On the 19th you can taste test ;-) Stephanie has been trying wines too and likes pinot grigio's. She's just starting to try it so maybe she can give you some suggestions. She was drinking one that tasted almost like a cider that was nice... Did I say how much I love wine! Right...WINE-O!

    <3 Shona

    ReplyDelete